How the skin is formed in our body?
Acharya Sushruta says that the shukra (a fluid secreted from the male reproductive organ i.e., semen with sperm) and shondita (a fluid present inside the female reproductive organ i.e., ovum) gets fused together; at the time of fusion skin starts to form its layers like cream settles on the milk. Acharya Sushruta says our skin is made up of seven layers while, Acharya Charaka has explained only six.
How to understand your skin type as per Ayurveda?
In accordance with Ayurveda, our body is made up of panchamahabhuta (five elements) which combines to form the doshas. At the time of conception, the predominance of these doshas in the body imparts the individual with characteristic features called as Prakriti of that person. The state of equilibrium of these three doshas is the state of good health of any individual. The same phenomenon works for skin health too. Thus, any doshic imbalances caused due to the diet, lifestyle or seasonal changes can affect the skin health of an individual.
The skin type is mainly based on the prakriti of an individual. The following skin types tells about the nature of your skin by birth:
A person with Vata dosha predominant prakriti may have:
- Wheatish to Dark complexion (mostly)
- Rough, dry and dull skin texture
- Cool in touch
- Wrinkled and fine line prone skin
- Premature aging signs
- Sagging of skin in older age
- Cracked heels
- Old age persons naturally get Vata predominance in the body which results with these signs in an individual.
- Use of moisturizer with good amount of hydration is highly recommended.
- If you have Vata skin type then, apply Shata Dhauta Ghrita skin repair emollient immediately after washing your face as many times you require or whenever you feel the dryness.
A person with Pitta dosha predominant prakriti may have:
- Fair, rosy and pale complexion
- Soft, thin and lustrous skin texture
- The skin is warm in touch
- Oily T-zone
- Sensitive skin is more common
- Redness on the whole body or especially on face
- Skin rashes
- More prone to moles, acne and freckles
- Middle age persons naturally get Pitta predominance in the body which results with these signs in an individual.
- Apply aloe vera gel, sandalwood powder as a paste on skin.
- If you have Pitta skin type then, apply Shata Dhauta Ghrita skin repair emollient on the places of burning sensations or sunburn areas.
A person with Kapha dosha predominant prakriti may have:
- Clear and fair complexion
- Smooth or sometimes uneven skin texture
- Firmness in skin and thus, signs of aging are much delayed
- Oily skin
- Prone to pimples, acne, etc.
- Have much larger pores than other skin types
- Can suffer from cystic acnes
- Teenage persons naturally get Kapha predominance in the body which results with these signs in an individual.
- Use gel based cream with lesser amount of hydration and greasiness
- You can exfoliate the skin this, helps in reduction of oiliness
Acharya Sushruta has explained seven layer of skin which are namely:
These layers have specific functions and diseased conditions which reflects the health of the particular skin layer.